The UFC is targeting Jan. 23 for a rematch between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier.
A report from MMA Fighting on Tuesday said the anticipated tilt had been “officially booked” for UFC 257, however UFC president Dana White clarified nothing is official quite yet.
“Jan. 23 on Fight Island, if everything goes according to plans,” White told ESPN. “There are a ton of ifs right now. I have to see where the world is at in the next couple of months.”
According to ESPN, Poirier has signed the bout agreement and McGregor verbally agreed to the fight but hasn’t yet put pen to paper.
McGregor earned a knockout win over Poirier at UFC 278 back in 2014 when the two men competed in the featherweight division. There were verbal barbs thrown in the lead-up to that event, but the fight itself wasn’t all too competitive with McGregor needing just 1:46 to get the knockout.
McGregor eventually went on to win the 145-pound title before moving up to lightweight and becoming the UFC’s first simultaneous two-weight champ.
Poirier moved up to 155 pounds after his loss to McGregor and he’s a far superior version of himself at lightweight. He has gone 10-2 with wins over Justin Gaethje, Eddia Alvarez, Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis and won an interim title.
The rematch will be contested at 155 pounds and it’s unclear whether or not a belt could be on the line.
Khabib Nurmagomedov, who holds submission wins over both McGregor and Poirier, announced his retirement in October so the lightweight division will eventually need to crown a new champ.
Gaethje, Tony Ferguson and the newly signed Michael Chandler are among the other contenders in the division that’ll be vying for the vacant title.
McGregor last fought in January, beating Donald Cerrone in 40 seconds in a 170-pounds bout. Poirier won a five-round Fight of the Night against Dan Hooker in June.