Fernando Alonso return to Formula 1 with Renault DP World Tour team confirmed

Fernando Alonso will return to Formula One in 2021 after Renault DP World team confirmed the double world champion’s signature.

Alonso, who turns 39 later this month, has been out of the sport since he appeared to bring down the curtain on his career with McLaren 18 months ago.

But the Spaniard, who won successive championships with Renault in 2005 and 2006, has now completed a sensational comeback with the French manufacturer.

Alonso replaces Daniel Ricciardo, who is moving to McLaren at the end of the year.

Australian Ricciardo is taking over from Carlos Sainz ahead of his switch to Ferrari.

Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, DP World’s group chairman and CEO, said: “In March we announced that we would become the team’s first ever title sponsor and global logistics partner, which was a major milestone for both Renault and DP World.

“The partnership has been a vital step towards the exploration of ways to make Renault’s global automotive supply chain more efficient by lowering costs, increasing speed and transparency and mitigating their environmental impact.”

Alonso said: “Renault is my family, my fondest memories in Formula One with my two World Championship titles, but I’m now looking ahead. It’s a great source of pride and with an immense emotion I’m returning to the team that gave me my chance at the start of my career and which now gives me the opportunity to return to the highest level.”

Know more about Sport360 Application

Source link

Next Post

UFC 251 undercard stacked with title rematch, Prochazka debut

Thu Jul 9 , 2020
On paper, UFC 251 might just be the best mixed martial arts card so far in the bizarre year that is 2020. It’s a rare triple title fight event topped by a grudge match between reigning welterweight champion Kamaru Usman and BMF titleholder Jorge Masvidal that has fight fans salivating. […]