The French Open was postponed for about four months because of the coronavirus pandemic, shifting from May to September and juggling the tennis calendar.

The French tennis federation said Tuesday it will hold its 15-day clay-court event at Roland Garros in Paris from Sept. 20 to Oct. 4, instead of May 24 to June 7, “to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved in organizing the tournament.”

In the statement announcing the move, federation President Bernard Giudicelli described it as “a difficult yet brave decision in this unprecedented situation.” Later, in a conference call with reporters, Giudicelli acknowledged the

Read More
Read More

Artur Beterbiev will not be in action this month, as Top Rank Boxing has cancelled its planned shows for March and April.

Top Rank Boxing has cancelled all its boxing shows scheduled for March and April due to the coronavirus outbreak, while Matchroom Boxing’s Maryland card is also off.

IBF and WBC light-heavyweight champion Artur Beterbiev is one of those fighters affected, as he had been due to go up against Meng Fanlong in Quebec on March 28.

That show, along with others in Las Vegas on April 11 and Tulsa six days later, have been shelved over health concerns

Read More

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR has suspended its season until May as part of the CDC’s recommendation to postpone gatherings for the next eight weeks because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The decision came after at least two Monday conference calls between the sanctioning body and its team owners. It affects seven total races — Atlanta and Homestead had already been postponed.

“The health and safety of our fans, industry and the communities in which we race is our most important priority,” NASCAR said.

The series plans to return to the track at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia on May 9.

“We intend

Read More

The UFC held out as long as they could, however on Monday company president Dana White made the decision to postpone the organization’s next three scheduled events indefinitely.

White informed UFC employees of the decision via email, as first reported by UFC research analyst Michael Carroll.

Read More

Toronto Raptors forward Chris Boucher issued an apology on social media Monday for breaking his self-quarantine.

The 27-year-old was spotted at a Loblaws in downtown Toronto last week.

“A few days ago, I broke our team mandated self-quarantine,” Boucher wrote on his Instagram story. “I want to apologize to the city of Toronto, our fans and the Raptors organization.

“While I have tested negative for COVID-19, it was never my intention to endanger our community — I recognize my mistake and have remained self-quarantined since. Let’s stay safe Toronto.”

Boucher, along with all Raptors players and staff that were tested … Read More

Tiger Woods has made his first comments since the COVID-19 virus forced all upcoming professional golf events to be cancelled or postponed last week.

In a tweet, the 15-time Major champion said, “There are a lot more important things in life than a golf tournament right now.

“We need to be safe, smart and do what is best for ourselves, our loved ones and our community.”

Last week, the PGA Tour and LPGA Tour announced tournaments would be cancelled, with the PGA saying it wouldn’t be resuming play for at least one month. On Friday, the Masters followed suit, … Read More

(UPDATE: The UFC announced in an email to its employees late Monday afternoon that the organization has officially postponed its next three scheduled events indefinitely amid the evolving COVID-19 crisis, meaning the search for Woodley’s next opponent became redundant)

Tyron Woodley insists he will be fighting this weekend at a UFC event that, as of early Monday afternoon, has no confirmed location.

A Fight Night event originally scheduled to take place March 21 in London, England fell apart after new international travel restrictions were implemented by the United States government in light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation. The UFC announced

Read More